Re: gwp.word.processor.0.3.2.released

On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 11:55:31PM -0600, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> Hello Rebecca,
>
> > Could someone who knows more about make than Seth or I help me through
> > this one please?  I was beginning to get involved with a wp project when
> > Seth asked us to honor his work -- and I've been quite anxious to see
> > either a port of Maxwell, which is the wp I still use in Linux, or
> > something better than Maxwell in Gnome or KDE.  I haven't been able to
> > build gnome-print and don't have cvs set up, so have tried the jimpick
> > snapshots:
>
> The fix is very simple.  Make sure you set:
>
> export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /your-gnome-prefix/share/aclocal/"
>
> before you run autogen.sh.
>
> Please note that autogen.sh is intended to be used by CVS users, end
> users of the tarball (I know, it is not released, will be released,
> rsn, as soon as I get raph's permission to do so).

Free the Tarballistas.  Release the tarball for Gnome-Print already.

Here's what I got, which appears to be the same error:

[rebecca@ogoense gnome-print]$ export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I
/usr/local/share/alocal/
 /usr/share/alocal/"
 [rebecca@ogoense gnome-print]$ ./autogen.sh
 **Warning**: I am going to run `configure' with no arguments.
 If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
 `./autogen.sh' command line.

 processing .
 Running libtoolize...
 You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
 `aclocal.m4'.
 Running aclocal -I /usr/local/share/alocal/ /usr/share/alocal/ -I
 macros ...
 aclocal: unrecognized option -- `/usr/share/alocal/'
 Try `aclocal --help' for more information.
 Running autoheader...
 Running automake --gnu  ...
 automake: configure.in: installing `./install-sh'
 automake: configure.in: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
 automake: configure.in: installing `./missing'
 automake: Makefile.am: installing `./INSTALL'
 automake: Makefile.am: installing `./COPYING'
 Makefile.am:43: variable `GNOME_LIBDIR' not defined
 Makefile.am:43: variable `GNOMEUI_LIBS' not defined
 Makefile.am:43: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
 Running autoconf ...
 Running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-compile-warnings
 creating cache ./config.cache
 ./configure: line 521: syntax error near unexpected token
 `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(conf
 ig.h)'
 ./configure: line 521: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
 [rebecca@ogoense gnome-print]$

I looked at the file autogen.sh but couldn't find anything remotely
resembling the landmark given in the other post.

Tarball early and tarball often, I say, on programs that will have other
than programmer end users.

Any reason to have Gnome Print separate from the general lp stuff?  This
sorts of feels like reinventing the wheel, but I wasn't in the
discussions.  If it's higher level formatting that's being shared with
Gnumeric and gs (haven't compiled either of them as I have ghostscript
on my machine), then I'd have liked it if the Gnome print tar ball had
been released with the others.  If Gnome Print is not that critical to
other programs, could it be folded into the word processing progam?

Given that Maxwell just plugs into the printing functionality that's
already on the machine, I wonder why gwp can't do this also, unless
Gnome Project expects to substitute Gnome Print for the standard Unix
printing programs across all platforms.

--
Rebecca Ore