Re: gwp.word.processor.0.3.2.released

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 05:43:29PM -0800, Seth Alves wrote:

> gwp-0.3.2.tar.gz is available at
>
>  ftp://ftp.hungry.com/pub/hungry/gwp/
>
> this is mostly a bug-fix release.  new since 0.3.1:
>
>     * added a "debug mode" checkbox under preferences.  when
>       checked, warnings will abort (); otherwise they wont.
>
>     * added a "units" selector to preferences dialog.  the rulers
>       will use this setting.
>
>     * the default background is now off-white. (everyone thought
>       grey was to dreary).
>
> bug fixes:
>
>     * possible fix for the "can't find font" problem while printing.
>
>     * right clicks on a list bullet will now pop up the list menu.
>
>     * insert dialog will recognize .txt files as ascii.
>
>     * when fastdraw=t, clicking the mouse doesn't leave
>       cursor droppings.
>
>     * numerous other small bug fixes
>
>         -seth

Could someone who knows more about make than Seth or I help me through
this one please?  I was beginning to get involved with a wp project when
Seth asked us to honor his work -- and I've been quite anxious to see
either a port of Maxwell, which is the wp I still use in Linux, or
something better than Maxwell in Gnome or KDE.  I haven't been able to
build gnome-print and don't have cvs set up, so have tried the jimpick
snapshots:

Here is what happens:

./configure: line 521: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
[rebecca@ogoense gnome-print]$ ./autogen.sh
--with-gnome-prefix=/usr/local/
processing .
Running libtoolize...
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'.
Running aclocal  -I macros ...
aclocal: macros/linger.m4: 4: duplicated macro `AC_STRUCT_LINGER'
aclocal: configure.in: 15: macro `AM_PATH_GTK' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 15: macro `AM_PATH_GTK' not found in library
Running autoheader...
Running automake --gnu  ...
Makefile.am:43: variable `GNOME_LIBDIR' not defined
Makefile.am:43: variable `GNOMEUI_LIBS' not defined
Makefile.am:43: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
Running autoconf ...
Running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-compile-warnings
--with-gnome-prefix=/usr/local/ ...
./configure: line 521: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
./configure: line 521: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
[rebecca@ogoense gnome-print]$

I am not sure where I should be adding the contents of
/usr/share.../libtool.m4.  I tried adding it to macros and tried running
this again:

[rebecca@ogoense gnome-print]$ ./autogen.sh
**Warning**: I am going to run `configure' with no arguments.
If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
`./autogen.sh' command line.

processing .
Running libtoolize...
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'.
Running aclocal  -I macros ...
aclocal: macros/libtool.m4: 25: duplicated macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL'
aclocal: macros/libtool.m4: 91: duplicated macro `AM_ENABLE_SHARED'
aclocal: macros/libtool.m4: 117: duplicated macro `AM_DISABLE_SHARED'
aclocal: macros/libtool.m4: 121: duplicated macro `AM_DISABLE_STATIC'
aclocal: macros/libtool.m4: 128: duplicated macro `AM_ENABLE_STATIC'
aclocal: macros/libtool.m4: 155: duplicated macro `AM_PROG_LD'
aclocal: macros/libtool.m4: 218: duplicated macro `AM_PROG_LD_GNU'
aclocal: macros/libtool.m4: 229: duplicated macro `AM_PROG_NM'
aclocal: macros/linger.m4: 4: duplicated macro `AC_STRUCT_LINGER'
aclocal: configure.in: 15: macro `AM_PATH_GTK' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 15: macro `AM_PATH_GTK' not found in library
Running autoheader...
Running automake --gnu  ...
Makefile.am:43: variable `GNOME_LIBDIR' not defined
Makefile.am:43: variable `GNOMEUI_LIBS' not defined
Makefile.am:43: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
Running autoconf ...
Running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-compile-warnings
./configure: line 521: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_CONFIG_HEADER(conf
ig.h)'
./configure: line 521: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
[rebecca@ogoense gnome-print]$

If anyone would like try porting Maxwell to Gnome, I would be quite
happy to do beta testing for that if I can't get this working.  Maxwell
appears to use lp(r) for its print command, ispell for spell checking,
and grep for search, but I understand that it's almost impossible to
compile and is linked with Motif libraries.  I'm presently using a
Maxwell precompiled binary since it reads and write rfts that Word can
read (my publisher said they'd take any format, but I don't really think
they really meant that since Hearst limits office machines to MS Office
installed by Hearst IT staff only).

Maxwell was put under GPL in the spring.

And no, I cannot compile it either.

--
Rebecca Ore