Re: esound, u_int16_t, and other yucks

Dan Newcombe wrote:

> If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm on an HPUX system and can see
> why it is commonly called HSUX.
>
> I decided to give Esound a go again.   It told me that I didn't have
> audiofile, so I got it from the site  (BTW - THANK YOU for actually saying
> where to get it!)

Your welcome. I've found that informative error messages are
your first line of defense against the easy questions. =)

> In compiling audiofile,
>         u_int16_t
>         u_int32_t
>         u_int8_t
> were all not found on HPUX. (which does have a uint16_t and uint32_t).
>
> How common are those on anything other than Linux?  They also do not
> appear on Solaris.  Basically, if I come across something that I can't
> find on HPUX and it is also not on Solaris, I consider it a Linuxism,
> curse a bit, then find the stuff on one of my Linux boxes.

The docs that come with audiofile mention that it is tested under
Irix and Linux.  You may be heading into uncharted territory.
You should email your patch to michael@68k.org, as he is the
official maintainer of the package.

> Anyway, after defining them as unsigned short, unsigned int, and unsigned
> char (isn't that redundant?) I got audiofile to compile/install.
>
> Back to building Esound - configure still died because it could not find
> audiofile-config, which did not come with audiofile.  Also, it couldn't
> find aupvlist.h, which did not install in audiofile's make install.

I recommend using the version of libaudiofile available from
the gnome cvs repository (or suitable snapshot).  The configure
script is generally more up to date.  That's the version that
I work with.

> Once I got around both of those, it compiled, installed, and mostly
> worked.  It didn't seem to like the test file, unless I gave it -m -b, and
> whatever rate the file was at, which is kinda annoying.

Were you trying to play the test file with esdplay? or with esdcat?
Esdcat requires that you specify the audio format.  It assumes a
default setting of linear encoded data, 16 bit, stereo, 44.1 kHz.
Adding -b sets it for 8 bit sound, and -m sets mono.  Esdplay uses
the audiofile library, and determines the parameters from the file.

> Anyway, I guess the point is to point out some of the problems still with
> esound (on non-linux systems)

Unfortunately, I only have access to Linux and IRIX systems with
working sound configurations, so I rely on the help of the community
when it comes to porting issues for other platforms.  Thanks for
the feedback.

> Hey...I just love the startup sound of esd :)

Patterned after the extended dynamic range cassette tape intro.
If it drives you nuts, start esd with the "-nobeeps" option. =)

>         -Dan

-- ebm
|  __                         a.k.a. Eric B. Mitchell |
|  |_) .  _  _|      _|  _     ericmit@ix.netcom.com  |
|  | \ ( (_ (_| (_| (_| (/_   www.netcom.com/~ericmit |
| How's My Programming?   Call:  1 - 800 - DEV - NULL |