an interesting test of gnumeric

1) fill row #1 with "=1" out to the (n)th column, say Z;
2) Set 2 and B2 to 1;
3) Set C2=A2+B2;
4) Select C2 and extend it out to (n)2 (Z2 in this case).
	This gives you fibbionaci;
5) Set A3=A1+A2;
6) Select A3 and extend it down to the (p)th row, say 20.
	This gives you fibbionaci again;
7) Select A3:A(p) (A3:A20 in this case); grab the bottom right
	corner; extend it to the (n)th column, Z20 in this case.

Now you have a big fibbionacci spreadsheet with lots of recursive
addition on it.  Set the bottom right selector thingie to average.
Now start selecting a single cell and dragging your collection to cover
a large rectangle.  The expansion of the selection region is very
slow for me.

1) Perhaps these values could be cached rather then being recomputed
on the fly;
2) Perhaps a page could be stolen from the caanvas here and the average
calculation could be deferred, or perhaps done in interruptible chunks
so that too much work isn't wasted during a change in selection.

Just some suggestions.  I won over a GNOME convert within MindSpring
earlier this week just based on Gnumeric!  He asked me if I knew of
any decent spreadsheets under Unix, since sc is apparently not Y2K
compliant.  He glanced at gnumeric for about 5 seconds and said "I'm
installing GNOME."  Keep up the great work!

I can't wait until Guppi et al. are integrated and the ORBit perl
bindings are done.  A scriptable spreadsheet with good graphics
will sweep like fire through the unix community...

--
Todd Graham Lewis       tlewis@mindspring.net      (800) 719-4664, x2804

"It's still ludicrous that nobody's ever made a run at us by making UNIX
 a popular platform on PCs.  It's almost too late now."  -- Steve Balmer
"It is too late."   -- Bill Gates             _Newsweek_, 6/23/97, p. 82