Re: [BUGS] GMC Bugs and Wishes.

"Jesse D. Sightler" wrote:

> > >     2.  Clicking on the transparent portions of an icon fails to perform
> > > a selection.  Try clickin on the various transparent parts of the RPM
> > > icon to see what I mean.  :)
> >
> > I noticed that.  It wont get fixed anytime soon though :-).
> >
> > The fix is really to make some parts non-transparent, but then, we
> > will suck when the user changes the background.
>
> Er, why not just have a fixed square bound that was considered the Icon,
> whether there was graphic there or not?  I'll have to admit that I have
> no idea how difficult that would be to implement, but it seems like the
> right solution.  :)

Not a square - use a bitmask that excludes any transparent pixels on the
outside of the icon.  Here's an oversimplified example:

If the icon looks like this (x = colour, . = transparent):
    ...xx...
    ..x..x..
    .x....x.
    .x....x.
    ..x..x..
    ...xx...
then the mask should look like this:
    ...xx...
    ..xxxx..
    .xxxxxx.
    .xxxxxx.
    ..xxxx..
    ...xx...
so that clicking anywhere on the border or inside the 'o' would select
the icon.  This should be able to be derived easily from the icon, even
if the icon file format does not contain this mask information (some
i've seen do include it, but i can't remember which ones :-( ).

Paul
---------
John 3:30 - "He must become greater; i must become less."
Home page: <http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulgear>