Copyright and license of GNOME icons ...

Hi all.

I'm really quite amazed at the simple yet asethetic look of a lot of the
GNOME icons. Does anyone know who created them? I would like to use some of
them ( like the okay and cancel icons ) in some of my Java programs but I
don't know whether there is a "license" for them .. they are, after all,
not code, nor library nor program. I assume they are covered in some form
under the GPL. What the implications of this?