Re: Is ORBit documented?

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 11:04:51PM -0500, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:

> I've written the .idl for the function I want to start out with: it
> just lists all of the zones for which the server is authoritative.
> I can generate all of the C code just fine from the .idl, and I can
> code the client and server functions just find.  The problem which I am
> running into is that I don't understand how to use ORBit, and I can't
> find any docs.  I need to know how to take the already-extant select
> loop in my server and connect that to my server function(s).

There are some preliminary docs at
http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/birney/orbit-html/book1.htm

> The lack of docs is a little frustrating.  We were looking at using glib
> for a lot of stuff, too, but we gave up on it for the same reason: after
> Johannes noticed that it was up to the caller of several glib functions
> to free memory, and that this requirement was not documented, he vetoed
> its use, rightfully so I think.

Is it still undocumented? I admit I just go to the code for docs (thanks,
free software! :-) ) but I was under the impression that there had been a
large doc writing session recently for all of gtk+, glib and gnome.

> I really want to use ORBit.  Whichever ORB we use, I would like to work
> with the authors to add support for the security service; I have been
> reading up on it and I think I understand how to implement most of the
> requisite functionality using kerberos, which I understand fairly well.
> I would really like for GNOME apps to benefit from this work as well.

ORBit has to be exportable from the USA, so this will probably have to be
developed in the free world as an add-on patch.

You should probably be asking on orbit-list@cuc.edu too.

> Todd Graham Lewis            32°49'N,83°36'W          (800) 719-4664, x2804

- Dick