Re: Compiling gnome-core 54 or 55 gives xpm errors

On 25 Dec, Jason Alan Smith wrote:
> Hello--
>
> I have just installed Slackware 7 with disk sets A and D only (basic
> commands and development stuff).  I have installed all of the required
> libraries and stuff and after a compile error from gnome-core I installed
> the xpm libraries which come to find out were included in the X set of
> Slackware.  Well, to my disappointment, even after doing ldconfig and making
> sure everything was in the path, etc, etc, and after removing config.cache
> and ./configure again, the thing still would not compile.  Specifically, it
> said that in libgtkxmhtml.so undefined ref to Xpm???.

In the course of upgrading from Slackware 4.0 to 7.0, I have encountered
this same error several times--usually it is an indication  that I have
not recompiled the given lib or app yet. In a few cases, the error was
that I had multiple copies in my path (e.g. /usr vs. /usr/local) and the
older version was being used.

However, I'm curious: why didn't you install the X disk sets in the
first place? Also, did you install any part of Gnome from the Slackware
7.0 distribution? Slackware places Gnome and its libs under /usr, while
config defaults to /usr/local [1]--this caused me to have some similar
problems to what you've described. Try "./configure --prefix=/usr"--I
use that now with all of my Gnome compiles.

Good luck, HTH, and Happy Holly-days,

Barthel

[1] Interesting side note: it appears that KDE gets installed under
/opt, even though it appears to be Slackware's default desktop.
--
 kknerrsr@ptdprolog.net | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063

*My* code never has bugs--only undocumented features.