Re: Compiling gnome-core 54 or 55 gives xpm errors

Barthel--

I only installed the A and D sets.  So I did not have gnome or kde installed
from Slackware.  I wanted as bare bones as I could get and still be able to
run and compile stuff (I am not ready to learn how to install the compiler
and standard libraries just yet).  As for not installing X from Slackware
dist, I wanted, again, a bare bones system that I could download source and
install everything by hand to get a feel for all of the different little
programs and how they relate and what each one does, etc, etc.  I just
wanted to know exactly what was on my system and why it was needed or
wanted.  Plus I had once tried to upgrade X on a RedHat (rpm and src) system
but it never worked.  So since I was starting from scratch I thought this
would be great opportunity to try it again and it worked.  It has been a lot
of fun for me to get my hands dirty and do things the manual way instead of
rpm'ing a package.  This is just a great way for me to get in there and
learn about all the different configuration files for network and stuff.

As for the xpm problem, I fixed it late Sunday night.  I had thought about
that the xpm libs might be duplicated somewhere but they were not (I have
run into lib duplication many times before).  I finally thought, as you did,
that some libs compiled before the xpms were installed might not have been
recompiled for xpm.  So I started from scratch, again :), and installed the
xpms just after X was installed, and then compiled everything else.  It
worked!!  Thank you for your assistance.  Happy holidays!

Jason Alan Smith
mailto:bsmith1@kscable.com