Re: Sound and gnome--how exactly does it work?

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Daniel P Hensley wrote:

> 	I'm still trying to figure out why I don't have sound in Gnome.
> esd is up and working.  When I launch the panel, no sounds play.  When I
> go into control-center, sounds are turned on and I can play the
> individual sounds.  When I go into other applications (like gnibbles) no
> sounds play.
> 	Through browsing the source I think I kind of understand how
> sound happens.  I've verified that sound support is indeed getting
> compiled in, and that the sound files exist, and the soundlist files are
> in the right spot.  But still no sound!  I'm getting really frustrated
> with this, so if anyone has any ideas, PLEASE help!
> 	Does anyone have good documentation on how esd should be set up?
> The web site was pretty sparse.  Basically I start it up in rc.local as
> '/usr/local/bin/esd &' and then do 'esdctl unlock' so I get sound when I
> log in as different users.

You need to run esd on a per-user basis, because there are authentication
things involved that would normally prevent esd-run-as-root from working
for the normal user (not to mention the potential security hole).

I'm curious as to why you can play sounds from control-center, though.

The sound events in GNOME are initialized upon session startup. You are
using gnome-session to start GNOME, right?

-- Elliot
Who me? I just wander from room to room.