Re: Sound and gnome--how exactly does it work?

Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Daniel P Hensley wrote:
>
> >       I'm still trying to figure out why I don't have sound in Gnome.
> > esd is up and working.  When I launch the panel, no sounds play.
When I
> > go into control-center, sounds are turned on and I can play the
> > individual sounds.  When I go into other applications (like gnibbles)
no
> > sounds play.
> >       Through browsing the source I think I kind of understand how
> > sound happens.  I've verified that sound support is indeed getting
> > compiled in, and that the sound files exist, and the soundlist files
are
> > in the right spot.  But still no sound!  I'm getting really
frustrated
> > with this, so if anyone has any ideas, PLEASE help!
> >       Does anyone have good documentation on how esd should be set
up?
> > The web site was pretty sparse.  Basically I start it up in rc.local
as
> > '/usr/local/bin/esd &' and then do 'esdctl unlock' so I get sound
when I
> > log in as different users.
>
> You need to run esd on a per-user basis, because there are
authentication
> things involved that would normally prevent esd-run-as-root from
working
> for the normal user (not to mention the potential security hole).

How exactly do I do this?  I'm not quite sure, since I haven't found any
good documentation on esd.  I'm slowly coming up to speed on all of this,
but I've got a ways to go.

> I'm curious as to why you can play sounds from control-center, though.

I wish I knew too (better yet, I wish the rest of Gnome could play sounds
too).

> The sound events in GNOME are initialized upon session startup. You are
> using gnome-session to start GNOME, right?

    Actually, I'm using the second method discussed in the FAQ--panel &
exec gnome-wm.  I'm still not sure how all these are related (gnome-wm vs
gnome-session vs. none of the above).  But if sound only gets initialized
through gnome-session, it seems like this is not the right place to do
it, since in my case it means it won't get initialized.  I was trying to
remember why I wasn't using gnome-session, so I changed one of my
accounts to use it, and then I remembered--gnome-session hangs and never
logs in.  I had to <CTRL>-<ALT>-<BACKSPACE> to return to xdm.  At one
time I was trying to get gdm to work, but when I tried to use it my
system would eternally loop through some sort of screen refresh when I
rebooted.  If I recall correctly, the only way out of it was the reset
button.  But that's the subjectof another post.

    I'm still having problems posting from my AT&T account.  Perhaps
someone might have an idea why?  I can't unsubscribe from there
either--it's like the gnome list-server is throwing away all my e-mails.
Why???

Dan