Sound and gnome--how exactly does it work?

	I'm still trying to figure out why I don't have sound in Gnome.
esd is up and working.  When I launch the panel, no sounds play.  When I
go into control-center, sounds are turned on and I can play the
individual sounds.  When I go into other applications (like gnibbles) no
sounds play.
	Through browsing the source I think I kind of understand how
sound happens.  I've verified that sound support is indeed getting
compiled in, and that the sound files exist, and the soundlist files are
in the right spot.  But still no sound!  I'm getting really frustrated
with this, so if anyone has any ideas, PLEASE help!
	Does anyone have good documentation on how esd should be set up?
The web site was pretty sparse.  Basically I start it up in rc.local as
'/usr/local/bin/esd &' and then do 'esdctl unlock' so I get sound when I
log in as different users.

    By the way, I know I'm not the only one having this problem because
someone finally responded to my post on redhat.general, basically saying
he had the same problem and didn't know how to solve it.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Dan