Panel issue...

I'm running Redhat6.0 gnome user...
The panel at the bottom, you know when can see all the windows that are
open on the panel, click on one and that window comes up on the screen.
Well, for some reason beyond me, thats not showing up in the panel
anymore. When I open a window it no longer shows up in the panel and
when I click -  on any open window, it seems to disappear. Use to, when
I would click the - on a window it would go to the panel, not no more.
Now theres nothing there and I want it to be like it use to be.
What needs to be done to restore/change this back? I'm a newbie be
gentle (lol)...
I hope someone understands what I'm saying?
                                             Thanks   Allan....