Re: my shortlist of GNOME wishes

> Anyway let me clarify my stance: Linux, despite its steep learning curve, is
> extremely easy to use. WHy? Because almost any action can be done with a
> command or two typed in at the command line. Conversely, MacOS, which

I couldn't disagree more. One can design an arbitrarily complex operating
system for which any action can be done with a command or two typed in at
the command line. The difficulty Linux poses to typical Windows users is
(a) migrating to a Unix mind-set (b) being *aware* of just what the
possibilities are [and this requires some significant computing know-how,
in particular with network issues ... after all, everybody these days is
hooked up to something] (c) wrestling with obscure man pages and
terminology to figure out the syntax [although maybe to you and me the man
pages seem clear, put yourself into the shoes of someone who has never had
to deal with links, filesystems,

And, as all things, Linux issues fall under two categories: impossible
(those you don't know how to figure out) and obvious (those you have
already figured out).

> doesn't have a command line, makes most activities difficult, but has a
> shallow learning curve. Imho a GUI ought to not take too long to learn to
> use the basics, but it ought to over a shortcut to point-and-click. Now
> Linux as it is is a rather extreme implementation of this philosophy, but
> the "simplicity" part should not approach the other extreme of MacOS, which
> simply serves to make things more difficult.

Seriously, a GUI offers some rest in between system administrative tasks
done from a console. It's nice and easy and itself not to difficult to
use, but let's not forget what's actually running underneath and how
high-maintenance it really is.

Regards,

Martin

 Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without
 asking a clear question.
          Albert Camus

Martin Krzywinski
System Administrator