Re: my shortlist of GNOME wishes

>We figured we were not helping creativity.  And we really should work
>on making GNOME not just an attempt to provide a GUI for Unix systems,
>but rather the next generation GUI in terms of simplicity, ease of
>use, power and comfort.

Just my two cents on the topic: Don't let learning curve get in the way of
ease of use. I do not know how to do this really, but I thought I'd suggest
it to the gurus to see if they had ideas.

Anyway let me clarify my stance: Linux, despite its steep learning curve, is
extremely easy to use. WHy? Because almost any action can be done with a
command or two typed in at the command line. Conversely, MacOS, which
doesn't have a command line, makes most activities difficult, but has a
shallow learning curve. Imho a GUI ought to not take too long to learn to
use the basics, but it ought to over a shortcut to point-and-click. Now
Linux as it is is a rather extreme implementation of this philosophy, but
the "simplicity" part should not approach the other extreme of MacOS, which
simply serves to make things more difficult.

Not to be attracting flames, but Windows 9X/NT has a fair implementation of
this. It allows be to hit ctrl-escape to invoke the start menu, and I can
use the keyboard to navigate it easily. In fact, under Windows, most things
have keyboard shortcuts. Keystroke-combos are not all that needs to be done
to make a complete GUI, but its a good start. Currently, that's the only
thing I really miss about Windows: The speed with witch I can access things
on menus.

Some of you are bound to notice that I'm in Windows as I write this. Not by
choice ;) I just happened to be putting together the Win32 release of my
current project. All the developement on it takes place under Linux 8-}