Re: my shortlist of GNOME wishes

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema wrote:
>Gnome File Dialog
>-----------------
>I know this has come up before, but IMHO the GtkFileDialog is not really
>sufficient for end-user apps. I think there should be a richer dialog,
with
>at least file type filtering. I'd say we leave the GtkFileDialog nice and
>spartan as it is, and put the extra's in some GnomeFileDialog.

I would like file type filtering also.

>Another nice feature in a FileDialog are standard directories. In a
dialog
>to, say, open some pixmap, it would be very nice if it offered some
>shortcuts
>to user-defined dirs with pixmaps. Same for sounds, fonts etc.

>Maybe some funky GMC Bonobo component would do....

I like the "standard directories" idea too. I would like to suggest that
this be implemented as recently visited directories. An example of this is
in the Interface Hall of Fame at http://www.iarchitect.com/fame.htm#FAME4.

This makes for smarter applications that learn where files are kept from
normal user interaction.

Matt Bishop