Re: newsgroups for gnome

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 02:00:09AM +0200, Matthias Warkus wrote:

> > > I like the mailing lists, but how come I can't find any newsgroups for
> > > gnome-related issues?  Save a lot of wear and tear on my ISP mail server
> > > if gnome had a list of newsgroups....   just my 0.02 worth....

[snip: arguments against]

> D'oh. Mailing lists don't scale. Have you ever contemplated that a
> mailing list server needs to mail every ingoing mail out to everyone
> on the list?

It's entirely possible to have a MLM which will distribute load between
several servers, thus cutting down bandwidth requirements severely and
improving scaleability. It will never scale in the way that Usenet does, of
course.

I think that we do need newsgroups for GNOME, if only because it's easier
for a new user to find a newsgroup than a mailing list.

James

  James Aylett                                           www.zap.uk.eu.org
  james@tartarus.org                                    www.footlights.org