Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

+++ Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 07:36:47PM -0500 +++
James M. Cape e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> Matthias Warkus wrote:
> >
> > +++ Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 02:54:53PM -0400 +++
> > jack wallen, jr e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> >
> > >       More simplistic mount/unmout of removable media
> >
> > Same question: how much easier do you want it? You can use desktop
> > icons or the mount applet.
>
> I personally think that some sort of autofs configurator should be
> coded, so new users never have to mess with the mount command.

I think that's out of scope for a desktop environment. This reminds me
of the people who wanted Gnome to implement an unbuffered floppy
access method on its own so that you wouldn't need to mount floppies.

There's nothing wrong about mounting and umounting media.

> > >       Better networking interface (akin, but better, than Network
> > >               Neighborhood)
> >
> > Hm. You know that gmc can do pretty much regarding networks?
>
> Yes, and it is not friendly at all about it.

That, of course, can be improved.

> > >       Preview button actually do something in Control Center's theme
> > >               selector
> >
> > Window manager issue. Let me guess, you use Enlightenment from CVS?
> > It works fine for me with Window Maker. At least I think that's the
> > reason.
>
> That is *not* a window manager issue. That is a bug in this person's
> Theme Selector. There is no reason Enlightenment from CVS (or
> Enlightenment at all, or any window manager) should interfere with the
> GTK+ Theme Selector's applying it's settings via the preview button.
>
> And I use E CVS, and it works fine for me.

Uh-huh.

> > > System:
> > >
> > >       Friendlier upgradability
> >
> > Distribution issue.
>
> GNOME needs an installer of the caliber of Internet Explorer 4/5. Coded
> in xlib, it will check your distribution/package format, check with your
> vendor for the latest versions, and go download and install the packages
> you select.

What? Are we going to implement our own package management system,
too?

> The distributions are responsible for packaging up versions of GNOME
> that will work with whatever else the ship. GNOME can pick up the slack
> in it's absense.
>
> And Mr. Warkus, try to be a little less curt WRT suggestions. Don't
> shoot them down just because something exists already. Obviously, a
> problem exists, otherwise the suggestion never would've been offered.

Don't get me wrong; I'm just trying to make clear that some of those
suggestions are really out of scope.

> There is a way to change the global GTK+ Fonts with the Control Center,
> but I've had 3 people already personally ask me to add this to the
> wishlist. The ability is there, but a poor UI has stood in the way for
> these people.

I wonder how; maybe there should be a GNOME_STOCK font icon ("ABC") on
the font selection button. It doesn't look like it's actually a
selector.

mawa
--
Friends don't let friends use MS-DOS