Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, jack wallen, jr wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> i was thinking about the mount command.  i have my mount set up so that
> all the devices are user mountable.  then, in my afterstep menus i have
> four entries:
>
> Mount CD
> Mount Floppy
> Unmount DC
> Umount Floppy
>
> these work perfectly.  and all i have to do is put them media in and click
> the menu entry.  why can this not be incorporated into the gnome menus?
> you have a mount directory which allows the user to select the medium or
> even add new ones (zip drives and the like).

This is easy to set up, but the problem I've run into is what if I've got
an Eterm that is at /floppy and try to use mount or unmount my floppy...
The computer is less than happy :-(  I don't see why (from a UI
standpoint) there should be a problem. It is errors like this with
mounting and unmounting things that lead to confused and frusterated
users.

> this would, at least, make it easier for the new user to get around...they
> wouldn't have to, at first, learn the mount command as such.
>
> but we all know that new users eventually get curious ;-)

Unfortunately, this is not always the case :-(

--Ben