Re: Call for constructive user criticism.

On 01-Aug-99 Miguel de Icaza wrote:

>> and why would you want to cut yourself off from end user opinion?  that's
>> a very Microsoftian philosophy - in my opinion.
>
> I am not cutting anyone here.  But being a programmer I sort of know
> what I want in my applications.  I just do not know what a user who
> does not care about computers and wants to use a "free-software based
> computer appliance" expects.

I know the feeling. There's a real difference between what I
want/need/expect/demand from programs and what my friends expect. I got friends
who're avid unix fans to want it a certain way, friends who are game fiends and
tweak gurus who want it a different way, friends who just use them once in a
while who don't know anything about *nix, programming, tweaking, or anything
besides clicking the microsloth logo who want it yet another way... etc etc etc
:) And to complicate issues, the open software I'm writing (I got closed secret
projects) is a mud client, and I don't play muds. I'm writing software I won't
use to access a service I don't really care about and trying to do a decent job
of it going "if I were a mudder, I'd think it's handy to have ****". pretty
strusfrating:) My method is to scratch together quick cgi's and run a poll on
my programs page, not only do I get to see what people thing, I get to see
which os they're running so I know what kinda cross-compatability I should
concern myself with.

> Miguel.

        -Erik <br0ke@math.smsu.edu> [http://shells.clipboard.com/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.