Re: Call for constructive user criticism.

nelson-gnome@crynwr.com (nelson-gnome@crynwr.com)'s email of 08/01/99
15:43 said:

>Miguel de Icaza writes:
> >    1. A team of *users* that would tell us what they would like to see
> >       in GNOME:
> >
> >       a. To make the interface easier.
> >       b. To make it more intuitive to people.
> >       c. To make the system more consistent.
> >       d. To make the system "nicer".
> >       e. To make GNOME the best user interface out there.
>
>I'm not sure that *users* know what to ask for.  I don't think that
>anecdotal evidence is the best way to improve a UI.  Probably the best
>thing to do would be to find a University with a good HCI department
>(U. Toronto comes to mind) and "partner" with them.  Partnering is
>good, because it is marketing buzzword #45.

Another good one is University of Maryland... I took an HCI class in
their Asian division in Japan and the textbook was written by a professor
there. (Not my prof, but they were friends.)

In fact, I could've BEEN that partner there... I even wrote a GNOME style
guide as a class project. :) Unfortunately it was a group affair, and the
other guys in my group had only ever used Windows, so the only parts that
I'm really proud enough of to share are the parts I wrote myself. ;)

Jim, if you want the paper, give me a holler; I'll strip out the bullshit
and forward it along. The structure itself was actually rather good I
thought. I even posted our intro (which contained a lot of good general
design information) to gnome-gui-list a while ago; look for me in the
archives...

--
"True riches only increase." -R. Buckminster Fuller
sungod@atdot.org              http://blackness.org/