Re: Window managers

randhol@pvv.org said:
> This must be one of the more lame excuses I have heard in a long time.
> To me it looks more like one is trying to push Enligthenment. I have
> tried enlightenment and gnome and if that was my first encounter with
> gnome, I probably would have uninstalled the lot and used KDE or some
> such.

This is no lame excuse to push enlightenment - enlightenment is the
only WM out of the box to work properly with GNOME, and has a nice GUI
configuration tool as well. WindowMaker is not far behind, but when I made
the RPMs it still did not share desktop buttons with gmc properly.
And icewm does not have a nice GUI configuration tool, so I don't
think its appropriate for newbie users.

RHAD Labs wrote a window manager capplet so it is trivial to switch
the window manager once you install GNOME. Should only take about 6
mouse clicks to switch to WindowMaker or any other window manager you like.
If we wanted to promote a particular window manager we would not have
spent time making it easy to switch.

I packaged the RPMS so any newbie could install them.  The enlightenment
requirement in gnome-core is to make absolutely sure a newbie will get
a window manager that actually works WELL with GNOME. The most important
thing to me is that new users try Linux. I have no personal preferences
in what window manager people run. At worst someone has an extra 4 megs
of disk space used by enlightenment. I'm sure there are bigger wastes of
space on a typical Linux system.

Dr Mike