Re: Window managers

 >> This is no lame excuse to push enlightenment - enlightenment is the
 >> only WM out of the box to work properly with GNOME,

this is not true.  scwm works properly with GNOME out of the box, and I
am sure icewm and window-maker do as well.

 >> RHAD Labs wrote a window manager capplet so it is trivial to switch
 >> the window manager once you install GNOME. Should only take about 6
 >> mouse clicks to switch to WindowMaker or any other window manager
 >> you like.  If we wanted to promote a particular window manager we
 >> would not have spent time making it easy to switch.

you are not being accused of a bad intention, just bad design. :-)
just create a virtual package "gnome-compliant-window-manager" and you
will get us off your back. :-)

 >> At worst someone has an extra 4 megs of disk space used by
 >> enlightenment. I'm sure there are bigger wastes of space on a
 >> typical Linux system.

this is totally bogus.  df gives me 6373004 "1k-blocks", with 70% used.
No, 4MB is not too bad.  But if it gets bad, I don't want to go buy a
bigger disk just because I need the extra 40MB which are wasted in 10
junk packages.  Also, each extra package deteriorates the performance of
RPM on queries.  Things like `rpmwatcher' (and rpm.lsp in
http://www.goems.com/~sds/data/cllib.zip) download updates for all
installed packages, including enlightenment, if it is installed.

I really don't understand why you cannot just introduce
`gnome-compliant-window-manager' and be done with it.

this way you will be able to provide the user with the list of available
window managers in the WM capplet - free bonus!

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.goems.com/~sds) running RedHat5.2 GNU/Linux
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,