Re: Window managers

Michael Fulbright <msf@redhat.com> writes:

| This is no lame excuse to push enlightenment - enlightenment is the
| only WM out of the box to work properly with GNOME, and has a nice GUI
| configuration tool as well. WindowMaker is not far behind, but when I made
| the RPMs it still did not share desktop buttons with gmc properly.

OK, but what do you do when WindowMaker, icewin or scwm is at the same
standard?

| RHAD Labs wrote a window manager capplet so it is trivial to switch
| the window manager once you install GNOME. Should only take about 6
| mouse clicks to switch to WindowMaker or any other window manager you like.
| If we wanted to promote a particular window manager we would not have
| spent time making it easy to switch.

True, it wasn't an accusation as such more a illogical outburst of
frustration on my part. Sorry.

But I guess if one had an improved RPM one could say that this package
is dependant on enlightenment or icewin or scwm or windowmaker, and if
one of them was present the dependency was fulfilled.

| I packaged the RPMS so any newbie could install them.  The enlightenment
| a window manager that actually works WELL with GNOME. The most important
| thing to me is that new users try Linux. I have no personal preferences

I think this will be a big problem for Linux in the future. One gets
newbies and non-newbies. Then one have to be careful not to push away
those who aren't newbies, as everything is laid out for a newbie.

I would hate it very much if one was left without a shell because this
is too dangerous, "what if dad just tried rm -rf /home, we cannot have
this. there should only be gmc"

Maybe a split in the distros would be nice. One newbie version and one
that wasn't?

--
Preben Randhol                     «There are three things you can do
[randhol@pvv.org] 	            to a woman. You can love her, suffer