Re: GNOME 1.0 on Redhat 5.2 + E as window manager. Unable to logoff desktop

Dennis Lee wrote:

> > I start desktop as this:
> >
> > [nabbasi]$ cat .xinitrc
> > #!/bin/sh
> > panel &
> > gmc &
> > exec gnome-session

> Maybe it need more pronounced placement in FAQ and documents all you
> really need in
> .xinitrc is
>
> #!/bin/sh
>   gnome-session
> #

Ok, thanks. I got confused when I saw the FAQ on www.gnome.org say:

--------------
4.2. How do I start GNOME?

.. skip..

If you don't want session management, GNOME will work
fine without it. Put the line exec gnome-wm at the end of
your X startup script, as described above. It will still
use the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable to select your
 window manager, but not bother with session management.
Run panel, gmc, or whatever as desired, either manually, or
in the startup script before the exec line. For example:

 panel &
 gmc &
 exec gnome-wm

I must have changed 'exec gnome-wm' by 'exec gnome-session' as I was
typing up my .xinitrc :( , and that why the trouble started.

I'll just do it the way you mentioned and saw it earlier also,
(ie. only use  exec gnome-session).

thanks, now I can logoff gnome (even though I like it so much, I
probably never need to :)

Nasser