Fw: [PROPOSAL] Better control center

Forgot to send it to gnome-list, ups ;)

> James Green wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, [iso-8859-1] Kenneth Christíqua wrote:
> >
> > > Here's a proposal, I would like you all to look at
> > >
> > > http://home1.inet.tele.dk/wandy_ch/ccproposal.html
> >
> > Hmm. I totally agree that the Window Manager needs to be configured
> > through the Gnome Control Center; I'm just not sure how best it should be
> > implmented.
> >
> > Each Window Manager has different things to configure, so a single capplet
> > isn't the answer. OTOH, for consistency all the WM capplets should look
> > and operate the same way (you shouldn't have two ways of selecting a
> > background image, one for both of your installed WMs).
> >
> > The question therefore is, does one capplet detect and modify itself to
> > the current WM, or should capplets be produced for each WM.
> >
> > James Green
>
> Windoze solves this problem by using standardized dialogs (properties) that
> various programs can add sections (tabs) to. So maybe make a default capplet
> with all the common elements (background, etc...) and allow wm's to install
> extensions to it.

What about making something in between, a capplet that will access information
from an outside plugin.

So if you're running enlightenment it will access a enlightenment-conf.plugin
file, and when you are running icewm, it will access icewm-conf.plugin

Maybe this is too complicated?

> It would be difficult to try and get a multitude of capplets to look the same
> (or even similar). This way the common pieces look the same and the "custom"
> elements are the only variations.
>
> I know this is similar to having a capplet that modifies itself, but there is a
> difference. Instead of the capplet trying to reorganize itself around what it
> can find (and might have to look for) it just incorporates whatever is given to
> it by the installed wm's. Of course this requires some common method of getting
> wm's to talk to control-center, but I think we'll need that anyway.

This will mean that a lot of windowmanagers have to be modified, with an
extended set of gnome hints. Probably the right thing, but that just makes it
even harder to create an windowmanager. And I'm not sure that the
windowmanager developers think that this is a god idea.

Kenneth