Re: GNOME 1.0 on Redhat 5.2 + E as window manager. Unable to logoffdesktop

Well, my guess is that because he was starting the panel outside of
gnome-session and then gnome-session was starting panel on it's own, the
first run of the panel was taken and the second either broke or
disappeared or something.  Anyway, the first panel was started without
session management so when it exits, only the panel exits and nothing
else.

I'm not 100% sure about that, but I think it's right.