GNOME 1.0 on Redhat 5.2 + E as window manager. Unable to logoff desktop

Hello,

I downloaded the latest GNOME 1.0 RedHat RPM's (the latest)
2 days ago.

I have Englightment 0.15.5 as window manager.

I start desktop as this:

[nabbasi]$ cat .xinitrc
#!/bin/sh
panel &
gmc &
exec gnome-session

Now, when I go to panel->Logoff Nothing happens! i.e. I do
not get the expected pop-up windows that should tell me if
I really need to logoff etc..

I read the user guide, and do not see what I am doing wrong.

I am a little confused, do I need to STOP the wm manager before
I logoff GNOME? I tried to stop E, but I dont think it worked
(what am I supposed to see when one shutdowns down the wm only?
empty desktop? with only GNOME panel there?)

Any way, I can't logff desktop now, I tried many things.

btw, where does GNOME send its error messages?

thanks!
Nasser