Re: undefined symbol: --bzero

Hi Eric, :-)
            Yes I'm very new to Linux. :-)

I got my copy of Red Hat 5.2 from a special 'Linux Pocketbook' issue, by
APC Magazine in Australia. It was hot off the press at the time, as the
magazine was delayed until the release of Red Hat 5.2, however it
managed to hit the stores only a matter of 2 or 3 days after the
official 5.2 release date.

My original post must have been lost along the way somewhere, as I did
list more detailed information there on my problem. To do a quick
recoup, I have been playing with Gnome since the .3x release which was
included on the APC CD. I have had some success with it's use, however I
have never been able to recover from some of the severe problems earlier
releases caused me, so, yes, my rather primitive solution has always
been to re-install everything. I know this isn't the way to do it, but
as it seems impossible to uninstall Gnome, without effecting the
stability of the entire system, I really haven't known what else to do.
I have also been unable to find any diagnostic applications to help me
locate system problems and as I am not a programmer, I have always
relied heavily on such utilities within Windblows.

I downloaded my most recent Gnome files from
http://www.gnome.org/start/getting_rh.shtml, only a matter of a couple
of hours after the Red Hat Labs April 14th update.

I have tried to install Gnome using 'rpm -Uvh *rpm' from my /tmp
directory and again using Glint under X. Both methods produce the same
results, which are as follows;

* During installation, I receive two notifications. 'Group UTMP does not
exist - Using root' & 'Cannot remove /usr/lib/mc/extfs - Directory not
empty'. I have had these same errors in previous releases. They did not
seem to effect Gnome or Enlightenment's ability to run, however they may
have been the source of some of the bugs I have previously encountered.

* Enlightenment runs, however the desktop icons which were enabled in
previous 0.14x and 0.15x releases are absent and I have been unable to
bring them up using 'Ctrl+Alt+B or C'. I guess they have been coded out,
as the rather beautiful help system the Rasterman had initially written
on their use, has been replaced by a decidedly less beautiful 0.15
version,:-( minus the icon instructions. Everything else appears to be
working.

* All of the plugin Gnome applications such as Gnotepad, Gnumeric,
Calendar, Games etc are working. Gnome Card does not, however it seems
to be the only exception here.

* Nothing under the Gnome 'Peripherals' configuration section on the
Enlightenment desktop right-click menu works. Nor anything within the
'Settings' section.

* Gnome Midnight Commander also does not work at all.

* If I try to run the Gnome Panel from an X-Term, I receive the
following error;

Error in loading shared libraries:/usr/lib/libIIOP.so.0: undefined
symbol: --bzero

* If I try to execute Gnome using the 'exec gnome-session' command, from
within any Window manager, including Enlightenment, I get a message
saying Enlightenment is not running and would I like it to re-write my
startup files so that it will run next time I start X. Whether I edit my
.xinitrc files myself, or allow Enlightenment to write them, I am still
left with the same message.

* In the above situation, I also receive numerous errors, identical to
the aforementioned Panel error, however they are specific to things like
sound events, that usually run automatically when Gnome starts.

I have tried installing Red Hat as a 'Workstation', a 'Server', a
'Custom' install (less all Gnome specific libraries) and as a 'Custom
Everything' install.

Once installed, I check to see that imlib-devel, gimp-devel and
gtk+-devel have been removed using the rpm -e command, as recommended on
the Gnome.org, Red Hat 5.x page. I also ensure that gsl-0.3b-4,
umb-scheme-3.2-7, guile-1.2-6, and xscreensaver-2.34-1 have been
installed from my RH5.2 CD.

I am running Linux on a 2.1G Quantum Bigfoot 5.25 series drive, on which
I have allocated 100M to Swap and 2G to Native, on a 200 MMX with 64M of
EDO RAM. I use an S3 Trio video card and an ESS1868 sound card, both of
which are detected without problems, as is my Logitech mouse.

That's all I can think of, however if you require more detail, please
let me know.

Thank you very much for your help Eric. I really appreciate it mate. :-)

Hamish