Re: undefined symbol: --bzero

On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 01:58:56AM +1000, Hamish wrote:
> Also, during my search there seemed to be numerous news group warnings
> about glibc2.1 incompatibility in RH5.2. Regardless of this, I am willing
> to try it. I will try anything now. I re-installed RH another four times
> today. I even tried an 'Everything install' and a forced, nodeps install
> of Gnome/Enlightenment. I also tried installing the February release of
> Gnome and then upgrading to April 14th. Everything I do results in the
> same error.

Ah! You're new Linux user, so this might seem suprising, but if you
reinstall a broken Linux system, you'll generally get an identical broken
Linux system. ;-) The same normally goes for rebooting--I used to spend
time telling NT admins that they could reboot the Linux box all day long
without fixing anything, or that they could come find me to help solve the
problem.

It's much better to find out what went wrong and fix it.

You should start with a clean copy of RedHat 5.2, forget that the
'--forced' and '--nodeps' flags even exist, and download the newest Gnome
RPMs from <ftp://ftp.gnome.org/> or one of the mirrors. There was a bad
batch of Gnome RPMs several weeks ago that required glibc, and it sounds
like you might have gotten a copy of these.

So, tell us:

 * What CD did you install RedHat off of?
 * Where did you get your Gnome RPMs?
 * What commands did you use to install Gnome?
 * What happened?

If you post a more detailed description of what you tried, we'll be happy
to help. But try not to upgrade to glibc2.1 if you can avoid it--you'll be
happier not to attempt that without either outside help or a copy of RedHat
6.0.

> I really feel as though I am banging my head against a wall here. I would
> really appreciate any further advice that you, or anybody else on this
> list, may have to offer on this problem.

Good luck! Things get much easier once you know your way around the system.

Cheers,
Eric