Re: GMC problem, and theming GIMP

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 14:10:52 GMT, I wrote:

>It appears that gmc only looks for directories 1 deep at
>initialization (other than current directory). I would prefer that it
>know about sub-directories, even if it is not displaying (expanding)
>them. If there were then '+'s to browse the entire directory tree, it
>would be consistant and this could be a 'feature'...
>Click on '+' for browsing directory tree and click on  body for
>displaying contents. Unfortunately, this would be counter-intuitive to
>most people and a better way is to open two file managers when
>searching/copying.

After some more thoughts on this, I think the best "intuitive" way
would be clicking the '+' would browse the directory tree and clicking
the body would open the contents (unlike Windoze). Again, ALL the '+'
would have to be available at initialization to have consistency.
Unless, of course, there are thoughts about restricting use of these
other system directories and some "protections" are in store in the
next release.

As an aside... maybe the folders could be dynamically colour coded
according to user permissions... green - rw... yellow - r... maybe a
different folder icon and colour for "system" folders (after all,
there are different icons for files). This would visually clarify
things for the "average" windoze user who just wants to do his thing
without getting involved in the nuts & bolts of the system. The
allowed local drives are already taken care of with the desktop icons
(which I would rather have in a drawer).

Sorry for getting carried away. I'm an old, burnt-out programmer with
lots of ideas and no energy. My first computer experience was with
plug board coding on mechanical card readers in the mid 60's and I've
become a staunch GUI supporter in the interim. CLI - BTDT.... ;-)