Re: GMC problem, and theming GIMP

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:44:49 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>First off, these new RPM's cured about 95% of all the bugs I was having,
>GMC is now almost 99.9% there for me and it kicks ass!  One thing I am
>noticing though is that in the left hand tree-list there are no + signs
>until i click on a directory that I know to have sub directories.  Once I
>do, the directory unfolds and a minus appears.  Anyone else seeing this?

I get the same thing. If I click on the '+' I get a tree view but the
contents view does not change. It remains showing the previous
directory's contents even though the new directory is highlighted. If
I then click on the new directory's body, nothing happens. I have to
click on a random directory outside of that particular tree and then
return and click on the one I originally wanted. This then opens it's
contents for viewing. (this is definitely annoying)

IF there are no '+''s, the directory's contents display correctly and
a '+' appears if there are sub-directories.

If I am 'browsing' my directories, my workaround is to FIRST click on
the body of the directory (this shows it's contents, THEN click on the
'+' to expand it's tree view

If I am transferring or copying, I just click on the '+' to browse
directories. Unfortunately, this requires that I have previously
browsed and all the '+'s are available for clicking. (in a way,
intializing the system by expanding and then contracting)

I'm not sure if this is a 'bug' or a partial 'feature'. It makes it
great for looking for a new directory when copying in a single window.
The original directory's view remains available.

It appears that gmc only looks for directories 1 deep at
initialization (other than current directory). I would prefer that it
know about sub-directories, even if it is not displaying (expanding)
them. If there were then '+'s to browse the entire directory tree, it
would be consistant and this could be a 'feature'...
Click on '+' for browsing directory tree and click on  body for
displaying contents. Unfortunately, this would be counter-intuitive to
most people and a better way is to open two file managers when
searching/copying.