Problem: hang at start

I have RH 5.2, and use the most recent RPMs available (gnomelibs 1.0.8,
gnome-core 1.0.4). I start X with 'exec gnome-session' (nothing else), but
the 1st time I start this from a shell session (right after boot-up) Gnome
seems to hang for maybe a couple of minutes. E comes up normally, then
after this long interval esd and panel, then after another minute or so
the other session managed apps (gmc and eterm).

Also, this very first X session will not be shut down through panel
logout; I must kill it. After that, however, any other 'startx' will
have normal results: no hang, no problem logging out. I tried to erase
'./gnome/session' and restart, but it hasn't solved the problem. Any idea?

Thank you,

--
Pierluigi Miraglia pierlu AT iname.com pmiragli AT kent.edu

The soul has a self-increasing logos (Herakl.)