Re: gnome-terminal not closing after "exit"

You(Roberto Zunino) wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Shimpei Yamashita wrote:
[gnome-terminal doesn't close after exiting the shell]

> Are you running GDM ? If you are this may be the cause of your problem.
> Try running gnome with startx (no GDM) and run gnome-terminal: if it
> doesn't hang then the problem is GDM.

You're absolutely right. I just ran gnome without GDM and
gnome-terminal goes away when the shell exits. I had no problems
before because I had just started using GDM a couple of days ago.

I guess I can do without GDM--it looks really nice, but I'm kind of
resentful of the fact that GDM logins do not show up in utmp. (Not
that it really matters, because this is a single-user workstation, but
it's the principle of things--if I'm logged in, I want to see myself
when I finger the machine.)

--
Shimpei Yamashita               <http://www.submm.caltech.edu/%7Eshimpei/>