Re: Repost : problem with gnome themes ... (gtk.themes how to fix)

To locate the default location for gtk themes, try doing:
locate Redmond95

If you have installed the gtk-engines package, you should have that
theme.
Then you can install the other themes there using tar.

If you want only a local copy, you can untar the themes in ~/.themes
but this means only you can use it.

Personally, I'd like to see an option to install in the default system
location (you could specify using browse), and ask for a password if you
aren't root.

Try to get one theme going at a time:  Start with OldWood.

untar it, and then follow the instructions in my other e-mail,
about the gtk directory, and the pixmap path in the gtkrc.

If that doesn't work, try selecting the pixmap theme that came with
gtk.engines (as suggested by Daniel) and see if that works.  If pixmap
doesn't, then the problem is the gtk-engines etc.

Most of the themes from gtk.themes are broken and don't work right away,
but it isn't hard to get them working  (has anyone got Executive
working?).

Ryan

Georges-Henry Portefait wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> Thanks for your help, you are the first one who answers me.
>
> I have problems with what you wrote :
>
>         + I have to untar the themes myself, the install themes button does not
> work for me ( it
>         crashes ( it remains stucked) but I m never logged in as root
>
>         + For me the default themes are installed in /usr/local/share/themes/.
>         If I put any theme in /usr/share/themes/ they do not appear in the
> themes capplet !!
>
>         + I checked the files and there permissions they are ok
>         + In the preview field of the capplets the thing which changes from
> themes to themes is
>         the font the widgets does not change, and there no signs of any pixmaps
> on widgets.
>
> Thank you very much for your help, but I guess I need more help :)
>
> Best regards
>
> GH Portefait
>
> Ryan Leduc wrote:
> >
> > I have found that many gtk themes don't work "out of the box" with
> > gnome.
> >
> > I have figured out how to get most of them working (all but "Executive"
> > theme)
> >
> > I'm using RPMs, and my gtk themes are in /usr/share/themes
> > If the theme capplet isn't putting your themes here, you can always
> > untar them here yourself..  (you know you are in the right directory
> > because the default pixmap theme is here.)
> > Let's say you have installed "OldWood"
> >
> > cd /usr/share/themes/OldWood
> >
> > make sure there is a gtk subdirectory.  If not, make one and move all
> > files but the README.html there.
> >
> > go into gtk directory and look at the gtkrc
> >
> > Look for any directory paths hardwired:
> >
> > OldWood comes with:
> >
> > pixmap_path "/usr/local/share/themes/OldWood"
> >
> > As your files are under /usr/share/themes
> > you can see the problem.  You can comment this out, or correct the
> > path..
> > The theme should now work..
> >
> > If it doesn't, check that all the files are world readable, and that the
> > directories are readable and executable:
> >
> > >ls -l gtkrc
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     root        23272 Feb 23 16:18 gtkrc
> >
> > >ls -l
> > total 2
> > drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         2048 Feb 23 16:18 gtk/
> >
> > That should do it..
> >
> > I also had problems with gnome 1.0.1 and themes..  When I selected them
> > from the control-panel, only some of the theme changed..
> >
> > I deleted a file: ~/.gnome/theme-switcher-capplet
> >
> > and all was well...
> >
> > Ryan
> >
> > If not use chmod a+r * to fix this
>
> --
>
> "Computer are like air conditionners,
> they stop properly when you open windows"

> http://www.geekcode.com

         Ryan Leduc         |    leduc@control.toronto.edu

   University of Toronto    |   'Any mans death diminishes me,
                            |    because I am involved in Mankind;
   Dept of Electrical and   |    And therefore never send to know
    Computer Engineering    |    for whom the bell tolls;
   Systems  Control Group   |
                            |    It tolls for thee.'

    Toronto, Ont, Canada    |         John Donne