Re: "proprietary" vs. polluting (was Re: propriatary question)

> (Although it's probably gone anyway, since it appears that parts of it now
> require egcs and we have no intention of supporting egcs across all our
> platforms in the near future.  This isn't open to debate, nor to the
> occasional idiot who flames me because I don't have 72-hour days in which to
> keep every single thing GNOME touches at the most absolutely recent
> pre-pre-alpha version so GNOME will compile.  But that's another issue or
> five.)

Nothing in GNOME requires egcs (or gcc, for that matter)  If something does,
it's a bug.  Some RPM's are built with egcs, which is a different matter,
altogether.  In this case, if worst comes to worse, you can just rebuild the
source RPMS if need be.

Also, the menu heirarchies were moved from ${PREFIX}/share/apps to
${PREFIX}/share/gnome/apps to prevent conflict with KDE.  It's a matter of
being polite and clean, not proprietary.

-Jonathan