Re: "proprietary" vs. polluting (was Re: propriatary question)

In message <199904022047.PAA06585@aware-of-vacuity.labs.redhat.com>,
jrb@redhat.com writes

[ ... ]

>Nothing in GNOME requires egcs (or gcc, for that matter)  If something does,
>it's a bug.

Er...

gnome-obj*.tar.gz configure complains if egcs-1.1 rpm isn't installed on
RH5.2. On my previous installation, I tried compiling the latest egcs
(1.2) from tarballs, and it went over gcc and screwed everything up.
This time I upgraded to 1.1 rpms and the configure script liked it. In
short, gnome-obj*.tar.gz won't finish configure without the egcs-1.1
upgrade.

--
James Green