"proprietary" vs. polluting (was Re: propriatary question)

In message <AD2701C12BABD211B9710060974835A8A391@ercex02.bhi-erc.com>, "Fox, Ke
vin M" writes:
+-----
| Why is gnome getting more propriatary?
> ( . . . )
| Session:
| use to be /usr/share/default.session (good place)
| now is /usr/share/gnome/default.session (y?)
+--->8

There's a not-so-fine line between "proprietary" and spewing crap all over
the system (which is egotism).  I don't grant GNOME permission to scribble
anywhere it wants, and if it moves in that direction then it's gone.

(Although it's probably gone anyway, since it appears that parts of it now
require egcs and we have no intention of supporting egcs across all our
platforms in the near future.  This isn't open to debate, nor to the
occasional idiot who flames me because I don't have 72-hour days in which to
keep every single thing GNOME touches at the most absolutely recent
pre-pre-alpha version so GNOME will compile.  But that's another issue or
five.)

Also, calling an application suite which doesn't declare the entire system
its own private playground "proprietary" is rather odd, especially given the
number of *truly* proprietary packages which assume that /usr is their
personal private trash heap.

Let's please lose the newspeak and consider *maintainable* systems.  If GNOME
won't play nice, it won't be playing at all.

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu