Re: Background-props problems and suggestions

Richard Hult wrote:

> (Gnome 0.30, RH5.1 + updates)
>
> Suggestion for the background-properties developer(s):
>
> It would be nice to be able to choose no background color at all.
> Sometimes the user has a background picture or maybe the windowmanager
> supplies a background (like enlightenment does).

Yes. Even better would be to use extended WM hints to figure out what
virtual desktops there are and allow different colors/patterns on each
one (though I think only icewm would support that presently).

> Does the screensaver work for anyone? The screensaver works once, then
> the next time it is supposed to show up, the screen gets black and a
> yellow text explains that "keyboard could not be grabbed". I have
> xscreensaver-2.16 and xlockmore-4.09.

I have that problem, too. Furthermore, I don't want to have to use
xlockmore...especially since xscreensaver has to be installed anyway!
xscreensaver just seems to be a better program. It supports modular
savers, and can even do locking. I didn't compile all of the OpenGL
screensavers into it so I could watch the big nose guy read my fortune
file!

And, while we're on the subject, somebody should add GTK+ support to
xscreensaver so that I don't have to look at Athena or Lesstif.

> When using DPMS it would be nice to be able to set the time when the
> monitor will be shut off. Example: I want the screensaver to come in
> after 5 minutes and then after 15 minutes idle time the monitor would be
> shut down to power saving mode.

Furthermore, it should try to detect whether your server actually
support DPMS before enabling the checkbox. And it should be labeled
better since it's not exactly obvious what DPMS *is*!

Tim