Re: 19980917 compiling

Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:
> > If you are going to build out of scripts, I don't understand why you
> > need the `autogen.sh' scripts.  They basically do
> >
> > 	aclocal	(with `-I macros' in case of most gnome packages).
> > 	autoheader
> > 	autoconf
> > 	automake --libtool --add-missing
>
> the point is : they are different for many packages, for example libraries
> need libtool stuff.
> if i had a way to detect everything, then i could work without.
> but how can i detect that libtool is required ?
> or some strange parameters that i don't know ?
> hmm. will try...

I know.  But the `autogen.sh' scripts weren't written to be used in an
uniform fashion, and driven by shell scripts.  They are convenience
scripts.  You might just as well spend the time writing your "unified"
build script rather than trying to fix every autogen.sh script (though
you may be able to optimize by using "friendly" autogen.sh scripts).

> > > ok: (did compile without problems - not a full check, but the first step)
> > > glib gtk+ imlib gnome-libs ORBit
> >
> > (Assuming you built in this order)
> > I would suggest ORBit before gnome-libs.
>
> ok fixed.

It didn't matter till now.  I does now, since `libgnorba' is now part of
`gnome-libs'.

> > >  gnome-common
> >
> > This need not be built.
>
> does it hurt ? should i build it later or not at all ?

I doesn't hurt, but it is (or should be) of no use.  You'll get
libgnomsupport to build, but why waste time building it if it will be
built again anyway as part of `gnome-libs'.

- Hari