Re: 19980917 compiling

Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:
> a beg to the one who did the autogen.sh scripts :
> please walk through all packages in the cvs tree, and make sure
> every package gets one (and all include the whole functionality) ?
> the scripts are very very helpfull, but best if every package has one.

If you are going to build out of scripts, I don't understand why you
need the `autogen.sh' scripts.  They basically do

	aclocal	(with `-I macros' in case of most gnome packages).
	autoheader
	autoconf
	automake --libtool --add-missing

Which set of commands you can incorporate into your daily script, and
not depend on `autogen.sh' to work.

> ok: (did compile without problems - not a full check, but the first step)
> glib gtk+ imlib gnome-libs ORBit

(Assuming you built in this order)
I would suggest ORBit before gnome-libs.

>  gnome-common

This need not be built.

>  gnome-chess gnome-filer gnome-http gnome-media gnome-utils

I would suggest you build `gnome-objc' and `gnome-guile' before
`gnome-utils'.

> gnome-xml achtung atech balsa ee form-maker gcmm gedit ggv gimp gle
> gnumeric gtk-- gwp libIDL

`libIDL' probably doesn't need to be built separately.  It's built and
installed as part of ORBit.

And, oh no, you haven't built `gnome-core' and `gnome-games'.

[snip: bunch of missing autogen.sh]
> gmedia: frontends/gmedia_play : undefined reference to dlopen, dlerror ...

Maybe should use `gmodule' from `glib', or CORBA, of course.

- Hari