Re: compiling gnome

> On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
>
> > i want to install everything in /opt/gnome.
> > is there a way to build everything without modifying every autogen.sh ?
> >
> > aclocal needs an "-I /opt/gnome/share/aclocal", and configure needs
> > "--prefix=/opt/gnome". i did not find any environment variables to create the
> > desired effects.
>
> If you do a:
>
> % cd gnome/cvs # or wherever
> % for i in %; do
> for> test -f $i/$i.m4 && cp $i/$i.m4 /usr/share/aclocal/
> for> done

This is not a good way, because your /usr/share/aclocal will be full of
garbage very soon. Installing everything under, say, /opt/gnome lets the
user fully control what software belongs to GNOME. OTOH automake installation
procedures install m4 files under $prefix/share... where prefix is supposed
to be /opt/gnome. I don't remember exactly, but some of gnome packages take
care of ACLOCAL_FLAGS env, but some not :( IMO, setting ACLOCAL_FLAGS prior
to running autogen.sh is the prefered way of installation to /whatever and this
step should be clearly stated in FAQ. (I myself tried to do this way after
reading an advise on gnome home site, but immediately faced ACLOCAL_FLAGS
problem, which did not mentioned there).

By the way, adding package-specific macros into aclocal.m4 is an error while
using automake. One should use acinclude.m4 instead, according to advise from
automake docs. As I understand, aclocal.m4 may be safely deleted and recreated
bu running aclocal. i.e. I'm tired to fight with buggy gettext macros
contained everywhere in gnome's aclocal.m4 - but simple

	rm aclocal.m4
	gettextize -f
	aclocal
	etc...

does not help every time because aclocal contains package-specific macros :(.
So I need custom shell scripts, replacing gettext macros there with sed
before installation, setting proper environment,  and running
autogen.sh with proper flags - one script per package, I treat them as
meta-autogen.sh:)

Have a nice day,
Alex