Re: [Fwd: Word Processors]

http://nwalsh.com/docbook/xml/index.html

> I certainly agree about the rocket science part. However, if it were
> possible to reuse DSSSL with XML instead of SGML (which would seem to be
> reasonable) then maybe some of the more essoteric parts could be culled.
>
> Users could then plug-in/create their own DTDs and DSSSLs, with standard
> ones like DocBook packaged with the WP. Perhaps the Word XML extentions
> could even be specified by a pluggable DTD that would allow the
> viewing/editing of the proprietary information. I know there are
> translators that allow documents to be convereted between formats/dtds
> so you could import/export between DocBook and Word format.

At least there are a lot of tools for processing xml and there are more to
come. Much better than digging around in a binary *.doc trying to get
something useful out of it. (Although I've experienced that 'strings'
does a good job at reducing some MS-Word documents down to their actual
content ;-)

	Jochem

--

#   Jochem Huhmann <joh@uni-duisburg.de>  Duisburg (Germany)
#   PGP fingerprint = 6C 85 FC 93 31 10 4E 81  1F 4C BE 4E 21 72 B3 7B