Re: building from CVS... some thoughts

Jeff Stern <jstern@eclectic.ss.uci.edu> writes:

> I'm wondering (being the total newbie that I am) :) .. would it
> make any sense to do any of the following, so as to
> (resourcefully) address the issue of having so many people with
> this problem?
>
> a) put that note up somewhere on the web site, just as a
> remeinder?

Take a look at:

http://www.cinternet.net/~soren/gnome/cvs.shtml

There are links on the gnome website leading to that page.

> b) put your perl script up on the web site so that others may
> take advantage of it?

Right now, that perl script has all kind of lddisms (ldd are my
initials, therefore lddisms are code thingies that are dependent on my
particular situation).  It would have to be cleaned and beautified
before I'd release it.

> c) create some sort of even nicer mechanism for programmers, to
> automatically check their CVS package dependencies when
> compiling?

This is technically doable for sure.  I don't know if automake has any
support for inter package dependencies.

BTW, I'm not talking for the gnome team.  I'm just a guy that happens
to have downloaded, compiled and used gnome.

	Regards,
	ldd