Re: building from CVS... some thoughts

On 28 Oct 1998, Louis-Dominique Dubeau wrote:

> Hello gnomers,
>
> I see a lot of posts where someone says "hey, I can't build this
> package from the CVS tree" and the problem is that they didn't update
> the packages that this package depends upon.
>
> Here's my tip of the day: when you update package A, update everything
> that A depends upon.
>
> I wrote myself a stupid perl script that just goes into the directory

I'm wondering (being the total newbie that I am) :) .. would it
make any sense to do any of the following, so as to
(resourcefully) address the issue of having so many people with
this problem?

a) put that note up somewhere on the web site, just as a
remeinder?

b) put your perl script up on the web site so that others may
take advantage of it?

c) create some sort of even nicer mechanism for programmers, to
automatically check their CVS package dependencies when
compiling?

Just wondering :)  It might save us all a lot of time.. But
don't know if any of these are even possible..

Jeff Stern <jstern@eclectic.ss.uci.edu>