Re: Installing gnome the easy way.

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998 14:01:53 -0500, Adam Keys <akeys@post.cis.smu.edu>
wrote:

>By no means do you need to reinstall your system.  Just yank all the offending
>packages and compile from scratch.  This means removing all traces of anything
>that uses GTK and Gimp.  It took me a while to figure that out, but once I did,
>everything went super smoothly.

I've got to aggree that is the biggest hurdle to getting gnome installed.
I went for the reinstall approach and installed a bare mininum system and
then installed the stuff I needed from the source.

Another problem (with my Slackware at least) is that the included graphics
libraries do not work with imlib.  Uninstalling them and installing the
full set off the imlib page fixes that.

When Gnome reaches v1 it will probably be included on a distribution so
ease of installation isn't that big an issue IMO.

cya

BTW the cvs gimp seems usable enough for those who need it.

--
Steven Blunt
spblunt@ozemail.com.au