Re: gnome developer docs - not sgml

On Mon, Nov 02, 1998 at 01:42:34PM -0500, Brandon S. Allbery wrote:
> In message <Pine.HPX.4.00.9811021319070.3502-100000@mordor.clayton.edu>, Dan Ne
> wcombe writes:
> +-----
> | The next, and hardest part is finding all the gnu stuff which everyone
> | else uses, such as autogen/autoconf, m4, and all of the libraries which
> | comes with most Linux distributions (ie libtiff, libjpeg...)
> |
> | The upside is once you do this once, you are set and should be in a much
> | better position to compile anything else out there.
> +--->8
>
> Except that ORBit tends not to build properly if you don't have the GNU
> version of indent, and various other things silently assume that you have GNU
> sh-tools and GNU file-tools and GNU binutils and etc., etc., etc.

my feeling on this is that autoconf/automake is supposed to control that you
have the right things installed, and to check that they behave like they are
supposed to behave. That is why automake/autoconf where created, so why use it
only halfway ?

> It's easiest to assume that you need to run a GNU system with a Solaris kernel

yes but at what point the GNU stuff is enough ? or do you need to install
everything in /pub/gnu ?

also some thing you require are not standard GNU stuff, like libjpeg, libtiff,
libpng, libgif (is it even legal ?) i know i was able to compile only 2 out of
4 of them, some of the things don't even have ./configure systems, and some
have non-standard ./configure systems.

> if you want to build on "Solaris".  I assume similar applies to HP/UX.

i don't have enough time right now, i will try it again though. (and it is the
0.30.1 that i tried to compile, not some snapshot of the day ...)

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER