Re: gnome developer docs - not sgml

On Mon, Nov 02, 1998 at 12:17:32PM -0600, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Nov 1998 luther@maxime.u-strasbg.fr wrote:
> >
> > i have to report, that also i gave up trying to compile gnome-libs on solaris
> > 2.6. In the process of trying to make it work, i had to compile so much gnu
> > stuff that other things got broken.
>
> How is the GNU stuff going to break other things?

don't know, but i think i just have to recompile all the stuff, to make sure it
use the shared library it was supposed to use ...

> > it would be nice to have a list of all
> > other packages that gnome-libs needs for compiling.
> >

> This should be on www.gnome.org or in the FAQ, I think.

yes but it is not ...

> > ok too bad for me then :(, i suppose this mean it is no more a goal for gnome
> > 		to compile on any major UNIX plateform ?)
> >

> It does compile and compilation is a goal. It just requires a bunch of
> libraries.
>
> We could duplicate the code in those libraries, and ship that with Gnome,
> but it would just cause bloat and a maintenance nightmare. Better to
> install the libraries.

i never asked to include all the stuff that are in external library into gnome,
not only would it be a nightmare, but it would be the Wrong Thing to do.
but then many thing could be handled by judicious #ifdefs and even just
checking them in the autoconf/automake thing would be nice than the current
situation.

> There is a difference between non-portable and hard to compile. (many
> people never get it to compile on Linux.) We can't help it if Solaris has
> a crappy packaging system and doesn't ship with as much software as Linux
> or FreeBSD. Gnome will run on Solaris, but you have to deal with its
> weaknesses.

like said, no problem with me, just tell me in advance what packages i do need,
and i will install them (gnu stuff will compile without major problem). And i
think this problems are the same than the one people encouter when compiling
under some not so standard Linux systems.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER