Re: JAVA in Gnome?

On Fri, 29 May 1998 fcolaco@spider.fis.uc.pt wrote:

>   I think a JVM should be present, or at the very least accessible, by any
> gnome application, for it allows a Linux application to be dinamically extended
> by cross-solution platforms

Can this kind of object level interoperability be achieved through the
CORBA layer?

> ... The second [true type fonts] should be provided
> by XFree86, now that The Open Group has stroke the death blow on X as we know
> it.  The XFree project has now the justification for adding features never known
> before on X (like True Type support).

Aren't the specifications of X11R6.4 still going to be available- just not
reference source code?
Surely fragmenting the X platform itself wouldn't be a good idea?
How easily can true type (or whatever) fonts be used without direct server
support?

Cheers,

Dave