Re: Bugs & Probs with the panel.

On 29 May 1998, Jens Lautenbacher wrote:

> robert havoc pennington <rhpennin@midway.uchicago.edu> writes:
>
> But why at all? I think this is a very bad idea toinclude something
> mostly redundant like yes/no when we have ok/cancel.
>
> Along this line is the fact that there are quite a few dialogs that
> basically ask for confirmation of something, and everyone is looking
> different.
>
> 	jtl

I can think of several situations where it would be nice to have not just
YES/NO or OK/CANCEL, but to have YES/NO/CANCEL, where CANCEL would ignore
the entire operation, leaving the state of the system unchanged. This
would be useful when the user is just plain confused, and doesn't want to
do anything.

We shouldn't argue about what single set of icons would be meaningful
across the world, rather we should make sure that there is full support
for internationalisation, so either the text or the icon displayed can
reflect the customs of the users locale. I doubt that there is one single
solution, and if there was, it would be too much of a compromise.

I do think that a consistent comfirmation dialog is necessary though, as
long as it is properly localised.

--
 _  __